We are offer 2 All Day Classes at CDLC -
- Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 3:15 PM
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 9:00 AM to 3:15 PM
Age Group -
The All Day classes at CDLC are each a class of ten children and one teacher who may join together to form a group of 20 children with two teachers for classroom time. Each class goes to all areas every day (creative arts, motor, music, science, story and cooking).
The Pre-kindergarten class spends the first hour of the day in classroom time:
- A leader is chosen from each class each day. The leaders record the weather, day of the week, and lead the group in counting to the current day’s date and singing.
- Each week sound buckets go home, one to each class, and the children share the items related to their letter. They also bring in an environmental print of their letter that is added to the word wall. Environmental Print is the print of everyday life: The symbols, signs, numbers, and colors found in McDonald's, Wal-Mart, Exxon, Pizza Hut, 7-Up, and on websites, for instance. They offer excellent entry points for young children to begin to learn to read, write, and do math. The classes also work on beginning letter sounds with other games as well.
- Each class has a traveling bear and a journal to describe the bear’s adventures. The journal entries are shared during classroom time.
- The All Day classes use a literature based curriculum and focus on a Book-a-Week with related activities all week. They also read many other books throughout the day.
- The All Day classes focus on fun and creative games with cooperative learning to teach letter recognition of upper and lower cases and numbers and improve fine motor skills. Most games are changed out every week or two.
- The All Day classes use song and movement to teach how to write letters and also use some of the Handwriting Without Tears curriculum.
- The All Day classes encourage the love of reading during S.Q.U.I.R.T (Super Quiet Uninterrupted Reading Time). This is a time that all the children quietly "read" for approximately 5 minutes. This is to promote independent "reading".
OTHER PARTS OF THE DAY:
- Sign language and Spanish are incorporated into the daily curriculum.
- The All Day classes have Spanish class every week for the 3 day classes and twice a week for the 5 day class.
- The All Day classes have P. Mooney (a language arts specialist) every other week.
- The All Day classes have an art specialist (taught by a real artist) every other week for the 3 day classes and three times every two weeks for the 5 day class.
- The All Day classes encourage the children’s independence and self-responsibility by having the children set the table and pour their own juice and pack their own bags.
- The All Day classes work on name recognition and learning to write their name with the proper cases on all their papers.
- The All Day classes are exchanging letters and pictures with other preschools across the USA.
- The All Day classes have a Shutterfly website to view photos and videos of the children in action. Their monthly calendar showing cooking, science themes and Book a Week titles are listed as well as children’s birthdays and important dates for the parents. A weekly e-mail is sent out at the beginning of each week with additional highlights of what is coming up that week.
Top of page
3 year old program details will be announced shortly.
Top of page